Monday, September 22, 2008

Google Docs Rock the Imagination!

At exactly 7:12 a.m. last Thursday I decided to undertake the journey into the unknown but intriguing world of sharing documents online...with the entire planet! I finally had a reason and a chunk of time for a trial-and-error learning session. The reason? The Mayport Faculty had experienced a power packed Web 2.0 Presentation by our Chief Technology Officer, Dr. Terri Stahlman, the week before. She appropriately closed with the promise, "...and I'm sure that you'll be able to access a copy of this power point on Yvonne's blog so that you can explore these resources and connect them to your classroom and instructional work..." Okay then. It was time to publish my first document. I knew enough about this from my colleague, Melanie Holtsman, that it could not be done with the simple "attach document" function that is used with email. "Google docs," "upload," and "html code" were a few key phrases that kept appearing in my conscious thoughts from her patient tutoring. I leafed through my notebook to find the synopsis of my Blogging 101 session.

Then, at 7:12 a.m. I launched my online exploration and application and by 7:26 a.m. the Power Point Presentation was published as a Google doc on the web! Fourteen minutes is exceedingly speedy for a novice learner, a digital immigrant. It demonstrates the power, ease, and accessibility of Web 2.0 tools. It increases my determination as an instructional leader to ensure that every student has access to and knows how to use these tools in meaningful ways. My imagination cannot even begin to encompass all of the ways in which this Web 2.0 tool can impact instruction!

2 comments:

Melanie Holtsman said...

We started using Google Docs to fill in agendas before meetings and I am collaborating on a conference presentation with a colleague on Google Docs. Once you go Google Docs you'll never go back to email! :)

Susan T. Phillips said...

You go girl!! We use Google Docs to create Leadership Team agendas now. Very, very cool!!!